© Perfect Lazybones / Shutterstock.com
The world’s centres of attraction
The top 10 landmarks
According to Trip Advisor’s Travellers’ Choice awards, tourists love the 12th-century Angkor Wat temple in northwestern Cambodia more than any other landmark in the world. The recently released list of the Top 25 Landmarks in the World also includes the Eiffel Tower (number 11), the Alhambra in Granada, Spain (14), the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul (15), the National September 11 Memorial and Museum (20) and Chichen Itza in Mexico’s Yucatan (22). TripAdvisor considered 700 landmarks and applied an algorithm to millions of user reviews over a 12-month period to determine the winners. The Top 10 are below; the full list is at tripadvisor.com/travelerschoice-landmarks.
1) Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
2) Machu Picchu, Peru
3) Taj Mahal, Agra, India
4) Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE
5) Basilica of the Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain
6) St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Italy
7) Duomo, Milan, Italy
8) Alcatraz, San Francisco, CA
9) Corcovado and Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10) Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA
This article was accurate when it was published. Please confirm rates and details directly with the companies in question.