Doctor's Review: Medicine on the Move

December 15, 2017
Bookmark and Share

Sangiovese: the go-to weekday wine

Not enough thought is given to Wednesday Wines. While we pontificate on prized bottles reserved for special occasions, the everyday sippers too often get short shrift. It's unfortunate, considering these workhorse wines constitute the bulk of our wine experiences. Not that choosing a bottle to pair with take-out pizza should turn into an intellectual undertaking. But here's one simple tip that will have you popping corks confidently throughout the week: when in doubt go with Sangiovese.

Sangiovese is a great go-to weekday grape. In fact, it pretty much defines the rule book on Wednesday Wines by offering an easy and versatile food-pairing sensibility while being eminently drinkable and maintaining relative affordability. More specific, Sangiovese's typically bright cherry fruit and earthy underlay marry a multitude of food types, while its medium-bodied disposition and higher acidity make for an elegant yet easygoing red. All in all, at the end of the day nine times out of ten — from spaghetti bolognese to roast chicken — Sangiovese will step up to the plate and make the match, all while leaving the lips smacking, anticipating the next sip. The traditional home of Sangiovese is the Tuscany region of Italy, where the grape is the star in the area’s renowned Chianti wines. Which leads to the not-so-coincidental regional cuisine pairing of tomato sauce and Sangiovese, a match made in heaven! (Not to mention a match made of umami, the fifth flavour element.)

Though it's not Chianti, Dogajolo hails from the same Tuscan hills. It's actually labelled as an IGT, or Indicazione Geographica Tipica wine, because this gutsy red contains 20 percent Cabernet Sauvignon, a grape not used in the traditional appellation rules. But the remaining 80 percent is all Sangiovese and it shows. Bright black cherry, coffee bean and wet earth aromas front a juicy, quench-worthy core. Spicy licorice and toasty oak lend an intriguing complexity as the wine works its way from bright fruit to a lingering, fresh and tart finish. Bring on the marinara, the pork roast or any leftovers in the fridge.

Carpineto’s Dogajolo Sangiovese is available across the country, priced from $17.40 to $19.99.

This article was accurate when it was published. Please confirm rates and details directly with the companies in question.

Comments

Post a comment